Thursday, September 3, 2009

Ok here I go again...trying to keep a blog to keep me inspired

This past Saturday I am officially half way through my training program for the Richmond Marathon. My husband Tom, my good friend Barrie and I ran the Patrick Henry Half marathon for a new PR (personal record). The run was long and humid, luckily the sun didn't peak through until we were finish, thank goodness. At mile 6 I was seriously doubting my ability to be able to finish 26.2 miles, mentally I was over the race but some cheers from Barrie's two sons and her husband help me get over the hump and the Gu I choked down at mile 8 energized me. Once we got to mile 10 I was thinking I am almost there only 3 more miles and then I can sit down. Mile 11 got a little difficult due to some major knee pain, mostly from the uneven roads we were running on. I had to stop and walk for a few seconds just to bend it a little so that helped. Mile 12.5 we could taste the finish line, just a run through the woods and our finish would be in our sight or so we thought. Barrie had run the race before and informed Tom and I that they moved the start/finish line back from it original stop, only like 500 yards the last time but she didn't think they were planning that this time. So here we come picking up some speed rounding the last corner looking for the big yellow finish line and IT IS NOT THERE...yup they moved it back 500 yards...I know you are thinking 500 yards SUCK IT UP but that seems like another mile after running 13.1 miles in record time. Mentally you think the race is over and to run just a little bit more in just mean. After being pissy for a few seconds we all quickly perked up as the crowds cheered and we could see the end in sight and TOM KICKS IT UP and starts sprinting (ok not sprinting sprinting but sprinting as much as you can on your dead legs). Amazingly we all picked up the pace and enjoyed the yells of encouragement and the race to beat the clock...finishing just under 2 hours 18 minutes, a new PR for both Tom and I. WHOO HOO it is done and we are ready for some cold drinks, cold towels, ice for aching knees and a somewhat lazy afternoon - how we will accomplish this - well let's just say there is a Wii involved.

So I will try and keep up with my training until the Marathon on November 14 and after that I don't know where my running with take me...London 2012 - HA!

No comments: