Thursday, September 24, 2009

Good News vs Bad News

Saw the dr. yesterday, he is a Sports Medicine Dr. that is associated with the marathon training team, I have heard wonderful things about him. Initially I went in for pain in my left knee and hip that mostly occur when I run the long distances. He ran me through all the regular tests checking both legs and seeing what hurt, nothing really hurt when he did all this of course making me feel silly. Then he had me run up and down the hallway and watch what happens and make comments like "oh look at that" "huh" "well there you go". He had two medical students with him so he was teaching them what to look for, I just kept running.

Finally he took me in the room and said he didn't think there is anything wrong with my knee or hip but my back. Really? My back - funny since I have had lots of back pain since I was in high school mainly when I was a cheerleader. Also my dad has had chronic back pain since I can remember so I just thought I inherited this condition.

Dr. Cutter decided to do x rays on my back. He took me to look at it and said he sees a slight curvature of the spine and then possibly a herniated disc or even a healed cracked back from years ago. I was stunned, didn't really know what to say. He then suggested I get an MRI to get a better look, so I go back next week. He did tell me I could keep training and running unless the pain got too bad. So now I just have to wait and see.

What is the most annoying...now my back hurts, I know I am crazy, my husband already told me that. Oh well guess I will know more next week.

No comments: