Sunday, September 13, 2009

The Good, The Bad, The Sad and The Super Cool

Its 3pm and I am still laying in bed.

Started the run at 7:30 this morning and finished about 3 hours later - yup I ran continuously for 3 hours, I know it sounds crazy and pretty much is!

The Good...
  • I did it! I ran over 15.5 miles this morning, my longest run EVER. WHOO HOO!!!!!
  • I had my runner moment, now I am sure I have this before and will probably have many more but it really was a monumental runner moment. We were at about mile 10 and running along the river on Riverside Dr. (Richmonders know how beautiful this is) The sun was shinning, the wind was blowing the humidity was low. The trees provided a nice shade as we glanced to the left and saw the beautiful James spotted with rocks, to the right beautiful Richmond River houses, amazing houses and lawns. AHH, the scenery was right. I was running with my good friend Barrie and weekly running partner and two coaches on our team - they were all telling marathon stories and commenting on the beauty of our run. At that moment I dropped back a little bit and drank it all in...knowing that I am a runner, let me say that again I AM A RUNNER! I was 10 miles into a 15 mile run, feeling great with great company on a great day. I knew at that moment that no matter what pains and obstacles lay ahead I will be crossing that marathon line, no matter what it takes to do it.
  • Popsicles...at the VA Beach Half last year they handed out popsicles after coming through the shoot at the end, it was glorious, I seriously wanted to kiss the man who gave it to me. And today someone had popsicles for us then we finishes, OH the joy!!!!!
  • I felt great, cardiovascularly I felt good and could have kept on going, which is such a good mental feeling.
The BAD...
  • Ok nothing was really bad except maybe the walk from the finish line to my car and then desperately trying to get out of the car and into the house, that was bad, or just hysterical.
  • ICE BATH BAD!!!!! I have given birth without drugs and the pain I felt for the 20 minutes of sitting in ice was probably just as bad a contractions during transition phase. Lily came in right before i was going to get in and I made her leave since i figured some obscene words would be uttered. However, no noise came out but some low volume whimpering and some crying, mostly I was just clenching my fists and praying for it to be over "MELT ICE, MELT"
The SAD...
  • My knee, leg, ankle could not have hurt more for the last 2 miles. If it wasn't for the fact that my car was 2 miles away I would have layed down and just stopped. I am still trying to figure out if the pain was so bad or it was just worse due to the mental toll it took on me. I really wanted to cry and we rounded the corner for the last mile.
  • I had to walk, I know it might not seem that bad but for me it was just annoying. Luckily Barrie was so great and willing to walk with me on and off the last 2 miles, it really helped. I did however run it in, I just could not finish my first 15 walking.
The Super Cool
  • There are many things I love about my husband, too many to list. Today he rocked it! He got all my stuff for the ice bath, set up the tv with an extra cable so I could watch Grey's reruns on TIVO, got me donuts, a large coffee from DD, some flowers and had the kids write me notes that they put all over the bathroom. It was so wonderful, made the pain and torture of the actual bath a little more tolerable.
Well that is it. And just cause I know my sister Laurie will ask, I am making an appointment with a dr. in the morning to have my knee, leg, hip, whatever looked at. Sounds like it is a common problem with runners that a little PT and ice should make better. Fingers Crossed.

No comments: